A A A B
Celebrate the festive season with volunteering
14th December 2020
The run-up to Christmas is very different this year and volunteering for Christmas is no different. While there are still some volunteer roles that will require in-person volunteers it is likely that most volunteering will be done from home.
Out and about
There will be fewer opportunities to volunteer out and about this Christmas, but there are a couple of ways to volunteer:
- Together in Barnet are looking for volunteer drivers to deliver care packages for homeless people in Barnet. Click here to apply.
- Middlesex Association for the Blind is looking for home-visiting volunteers, to visit blind or partially sighted individuals, supporting them with reading, shopping and other tasks. Apply here.
- If you are interested in supporting your foodbank, get in touch with your local one directly. Some are accepting new volunteers, and some have a waiting list. Foodbanks always appreciate donations, but please check what they are in need of before you donate.
Safety first – always following NHS and government guidance. Never volunteer when you are unwell or told to self-isolate, and do not volunteer outside of your home if you in a high-risk group.
From the comfort of your own home
If you’d prefer to do good from the sofa, here are some ways you can show goodwill to all this Christmas:
- Organise a virtual Christmas quiz to raise money for a good cause. Lots of big charities create quiz packs ready-made to be used – they are a great way of bringing together extended family over zoom.
- Order your Christmas cards from a charity’s website, for example, Cards for Good Causes or from a charity shop.
- You can signup to be a peer mentor, through Meridan Wellbeing. This role can be done whilst at home, via telephone calls to your mentee. Apply here.
Places to donate
It has been a very challenging year for everyone, and if you’re in the position to donate, there are many charities in Barnet who will be very grateful for whatever you can spare:
- As sadly big parties are likely to be out this year, if you are able, why not donate the money you would have spent to a soup kitchen or food bank?
- Young Barnet Foundation is running a Christmas campaign, in partnership with Linkey UK, to ensure disadvantaged children in Barnet received a wrapped gift.
Looking forward to the new year
Want to put 2020 behind you? You are not alone!
If you want to embrace the challenges and joys of 2021 then why not have a look for a volunteer role in the new year. You could improve your admin skills, befriend people who are isolated or get outdoors helping with gardening. Find out more on our website: volunteeringbarnet.org.uk
Also in Uncategorized
14th December 2021
Discover Volunteer Barnet's 12 roles of Christmas here and give your time this festive season!
5th November 2021
To mark #TrusteesWeek 2021, Volunteering Barnet spoke with the services delivery partners, Groundwork London, about the stories of two of their Trustees. Sadaf and...
20th August 2021
Across Barnet, as part of London’s vaccination rollout in late 2020, a number of Pharmacies opened their doors to community members across the borough...