A A A B
Staying safe when supporting others
20th March 2020
If you are going to volunteer either as part of an organised volunteer response team, with a local or mutual aid group, or running errands for a friend or neighbour it’s important to take the following precautions for your own safety but also to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- Let family and friends know what you are doing
- Maintain a safe distance of at least 2 metres – about 3 steps – from the people you are helping
- If you are dropping off shopping for someone please don’t go inside the premises
- Try to volunteer during daylight hours
- Follow social distancing guidelines and don’t volunteer in large groups
- If possible, volunteer in pairs but staying 2 meters apart
- Support friends and family by phone or video call
- Keep washing your hands regularly and for 20 seconds
- If you are volunteering outside use hand sanitizer as frequently as possible
- If you join a local group supporting others be careful when sharing your personal data
If you have any questions, concerns or you are worried about any individuals, please get in touch with us and we will be happy to support you and make referrals.
Other precautions you should take to prevent the spread of COVID-19 when volunteering are:
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze
- Put used tissues in the bin straight away
- Try to avoid close contact with other people
- Avoiding public transport where possible
The most important thing to consider before volunteering is to make sure you are healthy enough to volunteer. You also don’t want to risk making someone else unwell. Please follow NHS advice and stay home if you have either:
- A high temperature – this means you feel hot to touch on your chest or back (you do not need to measure your temperature)
- A new, continuous cough – this means coughing a lot for more than an hour, or 3 or more coughing episodes in 24 hours (if you usually have a cough, it may be worse than usual)
Stay safe, stay healthy!
Also in Volunteering
7th June 2021
And so 2021 National Volunteers Week is coming to an end. Like the 2020 version, it has had to accommodate the realities of an...
5th June 2021
Volunteering Barnet support more than 40 organisations across the borough in the recruitment of their volunteers. Community Football club, Kick Action Academy are just...
3rd June 2021
After a tumultuous year and a half, people across Barnet are looking forward to discovering new volunteering opportunities or rediscovering the joy of giving...