A A A B
How to recruit a trustee
4th November 2019
According to the Charity Commission, approximately one in five charities in the UK has a trustee vacancy indicating that there is definitely no shortage of opportunities.
So why is it a challenge for the charities to find a trustee with the right experience and skillset? If you are one of those charities facing similar challenge, perhaps it’s time to re-evaluate your approach towards trustee recruitment.
Every charity can build a strong board if it invests time and effort in trustee recruitment and retention. With our easy step by step guide, you can now reintroduce ways to finding your next trustee.
Step 1: Preparing for Trustee Recruitment
- Identify skills and experience- determine gaps in the skills and experience within your board, consider the diversity of the board
- Create an information pack- full description of the role, specific skills and experience you are seeking; an overview of the organisation, its priorities and strategies.
Step 2: The Recruitment Process
- Promote the role– depending on your affordability and accessibility promote the role through Twitter, Facebook LinkedIn.
- Use specialist platforms – Do-it and Trusteefinder or a recruitment firm and your immediate internal & external network.
- Interview objectives – be clear of what qualities you are seeking (candidate’s understanding of the organisation, the role, and the difference between management and governance), have an honest dialogue about the challenges they might face, their expectations and objectives for applying. Above all, are they passionate towards the cause of the charity?
Step 3: Training, Induction and Review
- Give trustees time and resources to help them become an effective member of the board. The Code of Good Governance and The Essential Trustee are some of the useful resources.
- Monitoring and evaluation is the key to understanding the effectiveness of strategic management the board is responsible for, so take time to review the new appointment and see how they are settling in the role after 4 – 6 months.
Also in Volunteering
20th November 2023
Tell us a little about yourself… I live in Barnet and I am a doctor. What inspired you to volunteer? I have volunteered for...
10th November 2023
My name is Aman, I’ve lived in Barnet for the last 10 years. I grew up working class, though I wouldn’t describe myself that...
9th November 2023
This Trustees’ Week, we’d like to introduce you to Deena Kusi – Trustee of the wonderful Stonegrove Community Trust and OneStonegrove Community Centre. As...